[Intro Paragraph] The ideal job description begins with a paragraph introducing prospective mechanical engineers to your company and unique working environment. Take 2-3 sentences to cater your recruiting pitch to the ideal candidate and set your company apart from competing listings, and you’ll ensure you’re attracting the best of the best.
Mechanical Engineer Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs mechanical and electromechanical products and systems by developing and testing specifications and methods.
- Evaluates mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs and applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials.
- Confirms system and product capabilities by designing feasibility and testing methods and properties.
- Develops mechanical and electromechanical products by studying customer requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials; and soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished-product and system capabilities; and confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Prepares product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Keeps equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer’s instructions and established procedures; and requesting special services.
- Maintains system and product data base by writing computer programs and entering data.
- Completes projects by training and guiding technicians.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is the perfect spot in your mechanical engineer job description to include working hours and benefits specific to your company (and the mechanical engineering salary, if available). This is your chance to tell prospective engineers about flexible hours or work-week schedules, as well as any travel requirements. This is also an opportunity to focus on benefits that set your company apart, like continuing education or tuition credits, childcare reimbursement, or paid leave.
Mechanical Engineer Qualifications / Skills:
- Requirements analysis
- Design skills
- Presenting technical information
- Equipment maintenance
- Conceptual skills
- Quality focus
- General consulting skills
- Control engineering
- Production planning
- Technical zeal
- Job knowledge
Mechanical Engineering Education Requirements, Experience, and Licensure:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (Master’s preferred)
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer
- Experience working in the mechanical engineering field
- Superior computer skills, with solid experience in CAD, CAM, and Matlab/LabView programs
[Call to Action] The job postings that get the most responses include a compelling call to action right here. Let mechanical engineer candidates know how to apply and encourage them to do so. For example, they can click the “apply” link at the top of the listing, fill out an application on your website, or send their resume and supporting documents to someone in your company.